It is not a good sign to have a damp and wet basement in your house. Some people ignore the musty smell and the humidity in the air, when they really should not. Should you do nothing, the walls, floor, foundation, and property will get damaged. Then there is the problem of mold and mildew growth.
When you leave the house in that state, your family shall start showing signs of respiratory issues, headaches, allergic reactions, asthma, and even cancer. You may not see the mold, but understand that they are present whenever you leave the basement damp and humid. The best way to be certain is to hire a professional mold inspection and removal service.
You can tell of mold presence when you see a green, brown, gray, or white splotches on the surfaces and items in the basement. There are other indicators, such as a musty odor, water damage signs like water stains or peeling wallpapers, water leaks from pipes or the outside, recent flooding in the basement, and an increase in symptoms like coughing, sneezing, and headaches after being in the basement. There is a need to call in the professionals for mold testing. With the test done, they shall advise you on what to do next. You would rather not find any than assume there is none in there.
Mold testing will detect their presence, as well as point out how extensive their spread is, the regions it is thriving the most, and the type of mold present. They shall inspect every corner and get samples. They shall proceed to collect air samples for detection of spores. This is done also in other parts of the house. They shall take all samples to the lab for analysis. You shall get a comprehensive report of what you are dealing with after a while.
If they see there is mold present, they will then work on the mold removal services. This shall be done fast before the mold spreads further. They shall first of all seal off all contaminated areas. They will then spray the visible mold, vacuum it up, apply antimicrobial and antifungal agents on the surfaces, and purify the air. If there are items in there too contaminated, they shall ask you to have them removed.
It is important to take steps to get rid of the mold in your house. You also need to make sure you put preventative measures in place, to avoid another growth. You thus need to keep the basement moisture free, and the house as well ventilated as possible. If you see any signs of mold in there, call in the professionals. You need to do so for the sake of your house.